What is game design?

Game Design

An image of a killer in a game.

The first reading I done was on "what is a game?". I learned about the game "three to fifteen", when I first read about the game I thought I didn't know it when it was being described but as soon as I say the image of the game, I instantly knew it was a different version of X & O's. It had the same outcome as it but there was just a few differences between the game but overall they are the same game in a way. This showed that there are many games that are similar but even with one tiny difference can make the two games not the exact same.  I read something in the first reading that basically said how if we were to describe a game to someone we know, that we would describe it by comparing it to another game of similar gameplay. That was interesting to read because I never realised how true it is.  I read an article called 'What is a game?' by Wolfgang Kramer. He described a game as an activity for pleasure and not conscious purpose. He stated that every game needs a goal, weather that be capturing a princess or killing off a boss. Also, he said every game has to have rules, for example like in FIFA 20, the rules are the exact same as football in real life. 
I read about what is game design. I learned game design doesn't involve programming which I did not know.I read an article called 'The Easiest Game Design Exercise Ever (Really) by Brenda Braithwaite, She talked about how to make a game as simple as from getting point A to point B.  She then says to have a narrative as in why are you getting from point A to point B, then how does the game work? does it work by dice or cards , then she said to add conflict , for example in the classic board game 'Snakes & Ladders' , you could have advantages and disadvantages like the snakes and ladders. Then the final part, what does the winner win? could be treasure or just pride. The third article I read about was 'So you're going to make a game for the very first time?' by lewis Pulsipher. I enjoyed this read as I learned tips and tricks on how to go about making a game for the first time. The type of tips he gave were to make a tabletop game, get inspiration from other games, focus on the gameplay and to test the game out for yourself before allowing others to give their opinion on the game. I enjoyed this read about game design because I feel like it will be helpful for me in the future with all the tips and tricks I obtained.


Comments

  1. Hi Aaron,

    I found the section about the game “three to fifteen” very confusing and couldn’t make out what was meant by the piece but I’m glad you did at least. Do you think games can be defined in multiple different ways? Do you think Ian Schreiber’s term of “Critical Vocabulary” needs to be used by Game Designers in order to learn about games? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron,

    Great blog, it was so enjoyable to read. Wow I didn't know game design did not involve programing.
    Similar to ciarans question do you think critical vocabulary needs to be used by all Game Designers to learn about games?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Prototype

Game Design Document